Deciding to tell your child about the separation
It’s never easy to tell a child that you and your partner are separating. So before you do anything, make sure the separation is definitely happening.
- Try and tell your child together if possible.
- Make sure your child understands that the separation is not their fault.
- Reassure your child that you both still love them.
- Stick to the facts – in a way that suits your child’s age.
- Try not to attach blame to either parent.
- Help young children to understand in ways they can easily understand.
Answer children’s questions as truthfully as possible. Once they understand the small things, you can all cope better with the big changes.
Where can I go next?
The Parent Connection - how to tell your children you are separating
Tips and advice from the parent connection to help you tell your children you are separating.
Centre for Separated Families - telling your children
Information from the Centre for Separated Families about how to tell your children about separation. The Centre for Separated Families is a national charity that works with everyone affected by family separation to bring about better outcomes for children.
Mumsnet - how to tell children about divorce
Information about telling children about divorce, including user's own advice. Mumsnet is the UK's busiest parenting website, providing a place where parents can offer each other advice and support on everything to do with parenting.