Parenting can be challenging at the best of times, and when you’re going through separation, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. However there is lots of parenting advice available to help you.
Positive parenting advice is all about:
- Setting good examples – children copy what they see, so try and act in the way you want them to.
- Managing your own expectations – you’re going to have good days and bad days, and so are your children
- Understanding your child’s personality – an energetic, headstrong child will probably need a completely different approach to a shy, quiet child.
- Getting to the root of the cause – are your children acting up because they are worried about your separation, or is something else bothering them?
- Talking to your child about their feelings
Where to get parenting advice?
Parenting advice is available through specialist organisations and charities such as Relate, Netmums and Barnados. Services including Netmums also run online parenting training courses. See links at the bottom of this page for more information.
Netmums- Positive Parenting
Helpful tips on Positive Parenting from Netmums.
Barnado's- Search for family support services
Search for family support services in your area with Barnado's.
Relate- Help with family life and parenting
Information and help with relationships, family life and parenting from Relate.