When a family splits up, each parent looking after different children can claim Child Benefit for them. If both parents claim for the same child, only one of the parents will get Child Benefit for that child.

You must report your separation and any changes to the Child Benefit Office.

How to apply for Child Benefit?

To claim Child Benefit, fill in a Child Benefit claim form CH2 and notes and send it to the Child Benefit Office with your child’s original birth or adoption certificate.

Child Benefit Office


Newcastle Upon Tyne

NE88 1ZD

Facts about Child Benefit:

Child Benefit is a tax-free payment that you can claim for your child to help pay for their upkeep.

  • It’s usually paid every four weeks, but sometimes weekly.
  • Separate rates are payable for each child.
  • If you are on an income of £50,000 or more, the amount payable may be affected by a new tax charge.

Child Benefit payments usually stop when your child reaches 16, unless they are in education or training that counts for Child Benefit. For example, an advanced course at higher education level such as a degree doesn’t count.

It can take up to 12 weeks to process a new Child Benefit claim.

Where can I go next?