When you separate from your partner, you may find that you are worried about paying the household bills, especially if you have children to care for. Whatever your situation, it’s important to keep talking with your ex-partner and decide who is responsible for the rent or mortgage payments.

You may want to seek professional advice from a solicitor first as the law in this area is complicated.

  • If both of you were responsible for the rent, and one moves out, both of you may still be responsible for ensuring the rent is paid. If you have difficulty reaching agreement about this then you should seek professional advice.
  • If you had a mortgage in both names, seek professional advice.
  • See if you are entitled to help with paying your mortgage or rent.
  • Tell your mortgage lender immediately if you are struggling to meet your repayments.
  • If you have children, speak to your ex-partner and put in place a child maintenance agreement that you are both happy with.
  • Find out if you qualify for extra benefits and tax credits.

You may be eligible for housing benefit or local housing allowance to help pay your rent if you’re on a low income or benefits.

If you’re applying for certain other benefits by phone, you can claim housing benefit at the same time. Or, you can complete a separate housing benefit claim form. You can download housing benefit form HCTB1 from the Gov.uk website or ask your local Jobcentre Plus for a benefits claim pack, which includes the form.

Where can I go next?