Dealing with stress & depression
It’s normal to go through a hard time and feel shocked or angry when you separate from a partner. But negative thoughts can cloud your judgement, which could then start affecting your relationships with the people around you.
Stress can affect the way you think, feel and act.
- Stress can also lead to depression
- Stress can bring real pain or discomfort
Dealing with stress will help you deal with your separation and enable you to start building your new life. If you do not address any problems associated with stress, this may lead to depression.
Sometimes, when the stress gets a little too much, you can become depressed. Depression is far more than “feeling sad” some of the time. It is a recognized illness that affects many people. Dealing with depression is something you can start to do by yourself, by taking some small positive steps.
- Share your worries with friends or family
- Think positively. It may not sound easy, but by taking time out to relax or doing something you really enjoy, could help your mood lift.
- Exercise can also help to lift your mood, help you sleep better and clear your thoughts.
- Short walks are another simple solution that could really help.
- If you feel that your stress and depression are having a major impact on your life, speak to a charity like Mind or to your GP.
Where can I go next?
Wikivorce - depression and stress online forum
A forum from Wikivorce to discuss how you cope with depression and stress as a result of separation and learn from the experience of others.
Family Lives - dealing with stress and depression
Tips and information from Family Lives about how to deal with stress and depression. Family Lives is a national charity providing help and support for all aspects of family life.
The Parent Connection - circle of thoughts
An animation brought to you from the parent connection which shows how our feelings, thoughts and behaviour are linked and influence one another.
The Counselling Directory - Depression
Information from the Counselling Directory about depression; Symptoms, Causes, Treatments and advice on when it might be time to seek professional help and where you might find help.