Individual counselling

It’s important to let go of the past. To move on and try to take control of your new life to help you deal with any negative feelings.

If you don’t feel that you can move on easily, it may help you to access a specialist counselling service. With counselling services, a trained counsellor, will help you accept that your relationship is over so you can move on. They will help you create a very different future relationship based on parenting together. This will make sure your child has a good relationship with both of you.

  • Try to build new routines.
  • Treat yourself in the same way that you would care for a really good friend.
  • Find things you enjoy doing.
  • Make some ‘me’ time for yourself.
  • Set some goals for the future – write them down.
  • If your stress or anger gets worse, starts to affect you physically or damages your relationship with other people, get help.
  • See your GP or a trusted health professional.
  • Ask them for a referral to a local support group, counselling service or counsellor.
  • Ask your GP to recommend a national health therapist or pay for private therapy.
  • Find out which charities offer free or low cost counselling service or other support.
  • Ask if your employer provides counselling services for their staff.
  • Try a “self-help” book – it costs much less than one-to-one counselling and you can work through it in your own time.
  • Look for online courses, support groups or counselling services.

Where can I go next?